Thursday 17 October 2013

Scalloped Potatoes

Every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I make scalloped potatoes for our family dinners.  My favourite recipe is from Cooks.  Thanksgiving (Canadian) was just a few days ago so I just recently made them again.


Gather your ingredients.

Melt the butter.

Add the onions and cook until softened.

Add the flour and cook for one minute.

Add the milk and stir until thickened.

Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Should look like this.


Peel and slice your potatoes.  Arrange a single layer in your baking dish.  I like yellow flesh potatoes.

Spread on half the sauce and half the cheese.

Add second layer of potatoes.

Spread on rest of the sauce and sprinkle the rest of the cheese.  Finally sprinkle on paprika.

Cover with foil and bake.

Thanksgiving dinner is always at my parents house so I bought this handy insulated pack from Canadian tire.  It comes with the baking dish, heating pack, lid and bag.

After 45 minutes of baking, remove the foil and bake 15 minutes longer.

Done!

All packed up and ready to go.  This pack often goes on sale for 60% off at Canadian tire. I got it for about $12.

And here is Thanksgiving dinner.  It's a team effort.  My mom makes the turkey and a few sides, my sister-in-law makes her green bean casserole and I bring the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment